How to establish the correct baby shoe size for your infant
It is very important to establish the correct shoe size for your infant's feet.
Shoes should not be too big or too small, and they must be easy to fit and remove.
Shoes that don’t fit properly can stifle natural growth, and can cause discomfort and permanent damage to the foot.
Feet tend to expand during the day, so it is better to measure feet later in the day.
Be prepared for a bit of a struggle and some resistance from the infant.
You will need the help of an adult.
A. This is what you will be measuring
B. What you will need:
- Two adults.
- A box for the child's foot to be measured against
- A sheet of paper
- A pen or pencil
- A ruler
- Tape to fix the paper and the box to the table.
- Firmly tape the sheet of paper to the table.
- Draw a line near one end of the paper.
- Place the box with one edge exactly on the line.
- Tape the box in position on the paper.
- It is best for the child to be standing so that their full weight is exerted on the foot.
- Gently move the back of the child's heel up against the box as shown in the diagram below.
- Make sure that the heel is only just touching the box. (A)
- Gently press down on top of the foot (B) to ensure that it is flat on the paper. Toes must not be curled. (D)
- Draw a line exactly in front of the longest toe, taking care to ensure that the pen is as upright as possible. (C)
- Repeat the procedure for the other foot.
- Lift the infant and the box off the paper.
- Measure the length between the two lines on your sheet of paper to establish the length of the longest foot.
- One foot may be longer than the other, so make sure you use the measurement of the longest foot.
- Consider the shape of the child's feet. If the foot is very chubby, you may want to consider one size bigger.
- Consult the size chart for the nearest approximate inside shoe length of the shoe.
- When in doubt, it is usually safer to choose one size bigger.
Example: If the measured length of the foot is 109mm, we would suggest a Size 3 shoe.
|Age in Months||0 to 3||3 to 6||6 to 9||9 to 12||12 to 15||15 to 18||18 to 24|
|Baby Paws Size||0||1||2||3||4||5||6|
|Foot Length in Millimetres||83-86||87-95||96-103||104-112||113-120||121-129||130-138|
The shorter measurement in each size above allows for up to 10mm extra room.
Note that the overall size of the shoe may vary slightly depending on the style and the thickness of the leather.
NB Please take care when ordering. Size 0 is custom made and cannot be exchanged.